Discretionary Learner Support and Childcare Fund
Thurrock Adult Community College wants to make sure learning is available to all. Our limited Discretionary Learner Support Fund (DLSF) and Loans Bursary Fund may be available to support learners who are undergoing financial hardship, which may prevent them from accessing and participating in learning.
Who can apply?
There is no automatic entitlement. Applications are based on your individual circumstances and eligibility criteria listed in the DLSF policy for the relevant academic year (see useful links). Learners can apply if:
- Enrolled on an Adult Skills Budget (ASB) funded course at Thurrock Adult Community College
- Are aged 19 or over
- If you have lived in the UK for at least 3 years (or meet any of the exemption rules in the ESFA residency criteria)
- Can commit to overall attendance of no less than 90% with full attendance required for every assessment and exam
- Living in a non-devolved area
What support is available?
The level of support will depend on your circumstances. We may be able to help you with:
- course tuition fees
- examination fees
- essential books and equipment
- educational visits and placements (where essential for the course)
- external registration fees
- childcare fees
- in exceptional cases, travel to the venue of your course
We may be able to help with childcare costs (learners over 20 years of age). Any childcare must be with an Ofsted registered provider such as a registered childminder, creche, nursery or preschool. Payment is made directly to the childcare provider. Please refer to the Government website for information about claiming free childcare. All parents can claim 15 hours per week, and eligible working parents of 3 and 4 year olds will be able to claim up to 30 hours per week. For more details on free childcare available in Thurrock, use this link to visit Thurrock Council's website: https://www.thurrock.gov.uk/childcare
What are the threshold limits?
Subject to eligibility rules set out in our DLSF policy, you can apply to either fund only if your individual income is £23,250.91 or under (those aged 19+) for 2021-22 courses.
How do I apply?
In order for us to establish financial hardship and your eligibility to apply to either fund, you must complete the relevant form and provide evidence required or your application cannot be considered. Email the Learner Services team at TACC@Thurrock.gov.uk
Call 01375 372476 or email