Adult Skills - Support for those looking for work
Out of work? Furloughed? Need to change careers or retrain to get a new job? Need to upgrade your skills to get a better job?
Thurrock Council are committed to tackling unemployment across the Borough. We believe everybody should be able to get onto the skills ladder to gain work, progress at work or retain work. Across the Borough, Thurrock Council, Thurrock Adult Community College, Thurrock Libraries and other local community and voluntary organisations work together with JobCentre Plus to offer a range of advice, support and training to help residents get back into work.
What is on offer?
Don't know where to start? Call 01375 372476
Help with getting online
- In work but want/need to upskill or retrain? We can help. Click here to visit the Essex Retrain, Retain, Gain page
- Up to 19 years old > Thurrock Careers - Inspire Hub
- Over 19 years old > National Careers Service
Adult Learning and Retraining
- Thurrock Adult Community College
Getting people onto the skills ladder through adult education and helping them retrain or improve their skills for work. Courses will be free for learners on JSA, ESA and Universal Credit earning under £345 (single) or £552 (joint) or on an annual gross salary of under £18,525. A discretionary learner support fund also provides help and support with fees and course related costs for those on state benefits earning over these amounts. For full details, visit our fee remissions page. The college helps people acquire skills to participate fully in work and life including free essential digital, English, maths skills plus confidence building and enrichment classes.
- You Train You Gain
Collaborative website brought to you by adult training and education providers in partnership with local authorities across South Essex to help you find out about retraining and upskilling.
- Tilbury Growth (Community Led Learning Development - CLLD)
Free Employability projects for residents in Tilbury St Chads, Tilbury Riverside and Thurrock Park Wards.
- Thurrock Opportunities
- Kickstart -(16-24 year olds) - can you give a young person an opportunity with a kickstart?
Financial Help and Support
Mental Health, Wellbeing and Confidence Building courses
- Inclusion: Recovery College
- Tilbury For Wellbeing (CLLD Project)
- Thurrock and Brentwood Mind
- Reach Out For Mental Health
- Wellbeing and Confidence Building courses at our College
Self-Employment, Enterprise and Business Support
Other local services
- Stronger Together
Stronger Together promotes local, community activities that strengthen the connections between people. Stronger Together also encourages local people to have a greater say in what happens in their neighbourhood and to take control over where they live and the decisions that affect them.